Chocolate and cherries are a classic combination. Of course, they are both very tasty on their own, but put them together and they are truly a match made in heaven. The marriage of the two has given us the Black Forest Cake, as well as chocolate covered cherry cordials and Cherry Garcia ice cream. And now I offer my humble contribution, the chocolate cherry muffin.
It’s cherry season here right now, which means I can use fresh cherries for these muffins. But frozen ones are just as good, and canned ones will work as well. You can also use either sweet or sour cherries, or even a combination of the two. I’ve tried them all, and they all work in this recipe. Just be sure to give them a coarse chop before you add them to the batter.
These muffins are made with whole grain spelt flour, with a healthy dose of both cocoa and cherries, so you don’t have to feel too guilty about eating one. That’s assuming you can limit yourself to just one!
Leftovers freeze well, and after thawing are almost as moist and tasty as they are the day you make them. So if you are craving chocolate and cherries, give these muffins a try!
Chocolate Cherry Muffins Print This Recipe
A Happy Acres original
1 cup Almond Milk (or milk of your choice)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup turbinado sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole grain spelt flour (about 6 oz)
1/2 cup unsweetened baking or natural cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sweet or tart cherries, drained and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin pan or line the pan with paper baking cups.
2. Whisk together milk, oil, sugar, egg and vanilla in mixing bowl until well blended and smooth.
3. Add flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; stir until just combined. Stir in cherries. Batter will be quite runny, and that is normal.
4. Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan and divide evenly. Top with sliced almonds.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.
Nutrition (per serving): 182 calories, 73 calories from fat, 8.3g total fat, 17.6mg cholesterol, 219.9mg sodium, 94.7mg potassium, 25.8g carbohydrates, 3.1g fiber, 14.2g sugar, 3.2g protein, 106.9mg calcium, 1g saturated fat.