This time of year often finds gardeners scrambling to harvest unripened tomatoes before frosty weather ruins them. Whether large or small, it’s a shame to waste all that green goodness. But that leads to a common dilemma: what to do with all those green tomatoes!
Mind you, that’s not exactly a bad problem to have. We make all kinds of savory things with our green tomatoes – things like relish, salsa and chutney. And we make yummy fried green tomatoes too. However, this quick bread recipe appeals to the sweet tooth. It’s a lot like zucchini bread, but instead of grated squash it uses cooked green tomatoes.
Whole wheat pastry flour gives this bread a big nutritional boost, and a lovely color. Green tomatoes add moisture and texture, but remain pretty well undetectable to picky eaters. The pureed tomato and sugar mixture can be prepared and frozen for later use.
Green Tomato Bread Print This Recipe
Adapted from various sources
2 cups green tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (with juice and seeds)
3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/3 cup softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook 2 cups of chopped green tomatoes in small saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar for 5-10 minutes until soft. Puree in blender (makes about 1 cup of puree).
3. In mixer, cream together butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
5. Add flour and pureed tomatoes alternately to creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
6. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes until browned, and inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan, cool on rack.
Nutrition (per serving): 154 calories, 68 calories from fat, 7.8g total fat, 26.4mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 117.4mg potassium, 19.4g carbohydrates, 1.9g fiber, 10.5g sugar, 3.2g protein, 23.4mg calcium, <1g saturated fat.